Saturday, January 3, 2009

How the see us: Do U.S. carmakers deserve a break?- Response

I decided to continue on the topic of the auto industry with this article I found in "The Week" which is coincidentally the same magazine I drew my previous entry from. I found it extremely interesting to see just what the rest of the world thought of a situation that many Americans believe only affects the US population. This article brought to light though, just how far reaching the US auto industry is. I thought it to be almost amusing the Europe can't agree on the best fate for the auto industry any better than we ourselves can. Bailouts and bankruptcy both offer different potentials and potholes for the future of the industry in America. I had no idea that Britain has gone through the same crisis with their industry as we are now. One must ask though that if the auto industry essentially began in America, why did Britain's fall apart faster than ours? It certainly does bring new light to the phrase "history repeats itself". I personally do not feel that the auto industry entering Chapter 11 would cause such a disturbance nationally or even internationally. In a time when funds are not even available for many people to even purchase a car, it seems to me that this is the best time for these companies to take some downtime and reorganize. Better now than when the economy is strong and such a disturbance could potentially cause an even more significant ripple effect.

No comments: